5/27/2006

 

Two fascinating quotes.

I don't think i can add a word so succinct...

When they took the fourth amendment, I was silent because I don't deal drugs.
When they took the sixth amendment, I kept quiet because I know I'm innocent.
When they took the second amendment, I said nothing because I don't own a gun.
Now they've come for the first amendment, and I can't say anything at all.
-- Tim Freeman, tsf@cs.cmu.edu



Let me give you a word of the philosophy of reforms. The whole history
of human liberty shows that all concessions yet made to her august
claims have been born of struggle ... If there is no struggle there
is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom and yet depreciate
agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They
want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without
the roar of its many waters. The struggle may be a moral one; or it
may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical, but it
must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It
never did and it never will.
-- Frederick Douglass, 1849

... and there a few others worth reading here.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


free hit counter

Rate Me on BlogHop.com!
the best pretty good okay pretty bad the worst help?

Bloogz